Before redesign, this home office suffered from a lack of function and aesthetic appeal. Although it contained office furniture, it was mismatched and outdated. The room was also cluttered, so unfortunately it wasn’t used for any purpose other than storage.
But, the homeowner (our client) had a vision. She wanted to have a place to conduct personal business, and also a place to read, sip a cup of tea or visit. Her style could be described as traditional, feminine and cozy with “Alice in Wonderland” inspired whimsy. The home office redesign created space for her enjoyment, in addition to serving a functional purpose.
Before the design could be implemented, though, the room needed to be de-cluttered. Finding homes for furniture, sorting and redistributing miscellaneous things proved a big challenge, but one we graciously overcame.
Once cleared out, design attention was placed on adding custom paint, furniture and window treatments, along with a rug, artwork and accessories. The specialty finishes we chose are in line with the homeowner’s style, and have the same feel as our previous designs in the home, for cohesiveness.
Featured Details Include:
- Walls’ specialty faux finish – plaster with bronze metallic tones – to add sandpaper-like texture and depth.
- Desk – a custom-finished and -sized dining table with drawer added. Our unconventional choices, (including two-tone finish, with cream-colored legs) create a lighter feel than a typical desk.
- Credenza and hutch to anchor the room, with ample storage space for supplies and decorative accents.
- Custom wingback chair with multiple fabrics to create visual interest. It and side chair (same as desk chair but without casters and upholstered back) offer a place for two.
- Custom-sized and -finished file cabinet, with appearance of chest of drawers, for ample document storage.
- Honeycomb shades to replace heavy wood blinds, and windows dressed up with a swag, panels and decorative rod. Sheer fabric, lined with solid for weight, is still airy and feminine.
- Camel and cream wool rug (loop and cut pile with a plaid pattern) placed over wood flooring for warmth and comfort.
- Contemporary-style metal wall art, with straight lines and sharp corners, to balance room’s feminine, traditional feel.
- Feminine and whimsical accessories throughout, in line with the homeowner’s taste: floral artwork, custom silk florals, mini dress-forms, Humpty-Dumptys, silly pigs and rabbit with watch.
- Lamps and hutch lights to support various tasks and uses of the room.